As I am sitting here, drinking my iced vanilla latte and editing pictures, I am craving another piece of this banana cake. Sadly, we finished it all as quick as I made it. As you know if you follow mywifethechef, my husband is now officially dairy free/lactose intolerant. He always knew he had to watch his dairy intake, but now we are really cracking down, and I am on a mission to create for him delicious dairy free dishes. This cake was made for no real occasion, I just happened to have two blackened bananas ready to hit the trash can, when I thought ” you’re a ‘chef’, are you seriously about to throw away overripe bananas”?. Thus, this yummy banana cake was born.
I have been VERY into using coconut milk lately. I really like the taste and I find it works in substitution for so many different things. Try it out and see for yourself!
Banana & chocolate chip moist cake:
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup light coconut milk
3 tablespoons melted butter/margarine
2 mashed ( overripe) bananas ( about 3/4 cup)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 375 F, grease an 11 inch tart dish or an 8 x 8 square pan.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, coconut milk, eggs, melted butter/margarine, mashed bananas and vanilla. Whisk until fully combined.
3. Add flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and stir with whisk or spoon until smooth.
4. Pour batter into prepared dish, sprinkle your chocolate chips over the top of the batter, and bake at 375 for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted to the center comes out clean.
5. Cool in pan completely before frosting.
I make a really creamy *non dairy, cream cheese frosting. This cake doesn’t really NEED a frosting, but it definitely adds a sweet and creamy touch.
Cream cheese frosting:
1 container of tofutti cream cheese, at room temp.
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 stick margarine, unsalted and at room temp
1/2 cup powdered sugar
Beat together the cream cheese, vanilla, margarine and sugar until desired consistency. Refrigerate for 20 minutes before frosting.
^ Notice the Tiffany & Co cake knife. Amazing wedding gift from my Aunt and Uncle..comes with a cake server too. 😉