I’m usually not one to make dessert for a weeknight dinner. Don’t get me wrong..I do PLENTY of baking during the week. But I don’t usually feel as though week night dinners warrant dessert. Enter the 9 days. 9 days in which we refrain from eating Meat & Poultry. Since my family is the epitome of meat eaters ( ask around), I decided to spruce up my original 9 days menu, and add some fun and refreshing desserts. These fluffy and phenomenal muffins happen to contain NO dairy, which makes them a perfect Summer Shabbos dessert as well ;-).
This muffin recipe is brand spanking new. I bought blueberries on sale last week, and my mother gave me 3 over-ripe peaches this morning and said, ” DO something with these so I don’t have to throw them out”. I love a challenge! I made up this recipe as I went along, as I do with 95% of the recipes on my blog, using simple ingredients found in my kitchen cupboard, and I have to say – these Fresh Fruit Muffins were the fluffiest, most moist muffins I have ever baked. And I bake a lot of muffins. Enjoy! * These would be even better with a scoop of Greek yogurt on the side!
Summery Fresh Fruit Muffins:
3 overripe Peaches
1/2 cup fresh Blueberries
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup canola oil
1/3 cup water
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Yields: 12 muffins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray muffin tins with cooking spray ( no liners necessary).
- Cut each Peach in half, remove pit and slice into small pieces. Place in large bowl, add Blueberries and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine egg, oil, water and sugar. Add baking soda and cornstarch, mix until thoroughly combined. Add egg mixture to fruit mixture.
- Gradually add flour to fruit mixture, stir to combine and fill each muffin tin 3/4 full.
- Bake for 22 minutes in a preheated oven. Let cool for 5 minutes before removing from tin.