Get ready to make this your new, FAVORITE summer appetizer. Last week, my mother sent me a picture of a dish she made for her and my father, mock crab and sauteed peppers, and it looked fabulous! As always, my mother is my inspiration for so many things, including a number of dishes on My Wife The Chef. I wanted to use that inspiration and create a new Shabbos day entree, and it received rave reviews. I only wish I could have taken more pictures, because I don’t feel the above picture does this salad justice. Can’t win em’ all!
Mock Crab salad:
1 package of Smart Taste angel hair pasta, boiled and drained
1 cup diced white onion
1 orange pepper, chopped
2 stalks of scallions, diced
1 package of imitation crab sticks, chopped into 1 inch pieces
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil ( plus olive oil to saute)
- Boil Smart Taste angel hair pasta, drain and set aside.
- Saute onion in a little olive oil until soft. Add pepper and scallions and 1 teaspoon of garlic salt.
- Stir in chopped imitation crab, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl ( I did this in the serving bowl), combine pasta and mock crab mixture, and add garlic powder, basil leaves, remaining garlic salt, salt, pepper and olive oil. Using tongs, toss salad until completely combined.
* This was the perfect appetizer before my chicken soup Friday night, and on Saturday, I served in along with a delicious gefilte fish loaf. Yay for trying new things in the kitchen!!!!