As if I needed another reason to love my iPhone. Instagram has become one of my favorite iPhone apps, if for no other reason than the amazing kosher food accounts I follow religiously. One such account posted a fun little contest last week, and I had fun getting creative with my entry! Soyvay, an amazing company that sells countless kosher preservative free dressings and marinades, posted via The Jewish Hostess a contest in which we have to choose one or more Soyvay products, create a recipe around it and then post a picture to instagram of your dish and product. As I was brainstorming, I remembered I had a huge globe eggplant in my refrigerator and I really wanted to create a non-fried, dairy-free, healthy recipe using it. I went to the store, spotted the Soyvay veri veri teriyaki, and the rest was history. I had a whole bunch of fresh mint leftover from a different dish I made last week, and I wanted to incorporate that in before it turned as well. I made this recipe up as I went along, never intending to turn it into a quinoa salad, but I’m glad I did. Enjoy ;).
Teriyaki roasted eggplant with mint & quinoa salad:
1 large eggplant
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
1 tablespoon minced garlic
5 sprigs of fresh mint, stems disguarded
- Slice and cube entire eggplant, place cubes in a medium bowl.
- Combine teriyaki sauce, garlic and mint leaves, pour over eggplant, mix and cover tightly.
- Refrigerate/marinate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Spray a large baking dish with cooking spray, and evenly lay out marinated eggplant cubes.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes at 350 F, then turn oven to Broil on High, and broil for 12 minutes – stirring halfway through.
- While eggplant is roasting, prepare quinoa ( I like to do 1 3/4 cup water and 1 cup uncooked quinoa and cook for 12 minutes).
- Let eggplant cool for 15 minutes before combining with quinoa.
- Mix eggplant and quinoa together gently, serve, DEVOUR!
^ My Soyvay instagram post.