THIS WAS SO YUMMY-I think I am going to make another batch tonight. If you read my most recent post, pumpkin-cranberry & chia seed muffins, you know that I love pumpkin, and I love creating fun new things! I bought a huge can of pumpkin, and with it I made my muffins, this delicious granola, and a cold pumpkin soup. This granola was a fun experiment, and definitely the best granola I have ever made. Originally, I had planned to make no-bake granola bars, but most of them didn’t hold together too well, so instead I put the granola crumbles in yogurt and added them to my homemade trail mix. Chewy and delish!
Pumpkin-chocolate chip granola:
2 1/2 cup quick oats
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup pumpkin, canned or pureed
1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Add oats and walnuts to a small baking sheet and toast for 5-10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Combine butter, honey, brown sugar, vanilla extract and salt in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir occasionally until butter melts and sugar has completely dissolved.
- Add pumpkin to mixture in sauce pan, stir until completely combined and liquified.
- Pour wet mixture in to the large bowl with toasted oats and walnuts. Mix well.
- Add chocolate chips, stir to combine then transfer to glass bowl or tray.
- If making bars, press into sprayed 8 x 8 glass pan.
- Cover, and refrigerate at least 2 hours before eating, allowing granola mixture to settle and firm up.
- Eat with yogurt, ice cream, or by itself!
- Perfect addition to trail mix too!
^ The granola bars that held together, I dipped into my yogurt and it was amazing.